Community College of Philadelphia is an open admission, associate-degree-granting institution, which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for College transfer, employment, and life-long learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry, and the professions. To help address broad economic, cultural and political concerns in the city and beyond, the College draws together students from a wide range of ages and backgrounds and seeks to provide the programs and support they need to achieve their goals.
Community College of Philadelphia seeks to create a caring environment, which is intellectually and culturally dynamic and encourages all students to achieve:
- Greater insight into their strengths, needs, and aspirations, and greater appreciation of their own cultural background and experience;
- Increased awareness and appreciation of a diverse world where all are interdependent;
- Heightened curiosity and active interest in intellectual questions and social issues;
- Improved ability to pursue paths of inquiry, to interpret and evaluate what is discovered, and to express reactions effectively;
- Self-fulfillment based on service to others, preparation for future work and study, and enjoyment of present challenges and accomplishments.
To serve Philadelphia as a premier learning institution where student success exemplifies the strength of a diverse, urban community college.
- A College environment that values and supports a culturally diverse and intellectually dynamic community and prepares students for global citizenship.
- Respected liberal arts and transfer programs that facilitate student preparation for the baccalaureate experience.
- Superior career programs that prepare students to meet current and evolving labor market needs.
- Innovative developmental and literacy programs that prepare students for more advanced educational and training opportunities.
- Agile programs that meet the needs of employers and emergent workforce development initiatives.
- Responsive continuing adult and community education programs that enhance and encourage individual growth and development.
- An engaged and excellent faculty, staff and administration that enable students to meet their full potential.
- A teaching and learning environment that exemplifies ongoing and productive communication and collaboration across the institution.
- Strong and mutually beneficial partnerships with public and parochial schools, community organizations and governmental agencies that model effective community-based educational programs.
- State-of-the-art technology employed to enhance teaching and learning.
- Accessible and affordable education designed to optimize opportunities for student participation.
- A supportive learning community that uses learning outcomes to measure success and guide innovative curricular and program improvements to meet individual and group needs.
The College places fairness and honesty at the center of all of its policies and operations. We uphold the highest ethical standards in striving for academic and professional integrity in all that we do. We strive to be both responsible and responsive in utilizing resources to meet student and community needs.
The College sets, expects, and maintains high educational standards consistent with the needs of the students, region, and changing workforce. Our faculty and staff are committed to providing high-quality, innovative, and flexible educational opportunities and services in an accessible student-centered environment.
The College embraces and understands the importance of providing an education and environment that promotes the uniqueness of students, faculty, staff, and the communities that we serve. We affirm that diversity is crucial to a democratic society, as it enriches the educational experience and celebrates differences among individuals.
Commitment to Teaching and Learning
The College functions as a learning organization, continually adapting, improving, and evaluating its services to promote life-long intellectual and personal development. We believe that learning is rooted in both curiosity and inquiry, and is engendered by dedicated, creative, and enthusiastic teaching utilizing appropriate and optimal modes of delivery. Technology supports and serves the learning process.
The College is committed to effective, open, and proactive communication. We take responsibility to listen, speak, and write clearly to inform others and foster collaboration by using and respecting a matrix of communication channels. Collaborative partnerships are strengthened when communication is ongoing and productive.
The College promotes respect, civility, and courtesy in our day-to-day interactions with others. We seek to instill respect for and appreciation of members of the College community, our facilities, our environment, our community, and the institution in which we work.