Covid-19: Learning Online for Students
Summer 1 classes will start online on Monday, May 18. Please remember to check your email for instructions from your faculty about your classes.
Here are a few tips to help you get started. For those of you who are new to online classes, welcome to Canvas, the online system available to all College classes.
Tips for Success
You will not succeed in an online-delivered class if you do not know what you are expected to do and when you are expected to do it:
- It is crucial that you access your course materials and communicate with your instructor.
- You should log into the Canvas system at least as often as the class would meet.
- When using Zoom:
- Mute yourself when not talking
- Ask questions using chat
- Utilize the Raise your Hand feature if you want to ask a question live
- upload a photo in your profile
Getting Started in Canvas
Please see the Canvas login instructions if this is your first time using Canvas. Once you have logged into Canvas, here are some of the more important things that you will do:
- Communicate with your instructor, and perhaps classmates.
- You can set your notification preferences in Canvas to allow you to receive notifications.
- Here is a video showing you how to submit assignments.
- Your instructor might also be using Zoom to meet at certain days and times. They will send a link with meeting information, but you won’t need a special login. You can view a video on how to join a meeting to prepare.
Help with Canvas
- If at all possible, you should access your course from a PC rather than a mobile device, especially when you are submitting an assignment. We have found that student information is more likely to get lost on a mobile device.
- Your first step is to try using another browser (Chrome, Firefox, Explorer).
- You can also submit a trouble report by selecting the Help link in the lower left corner of your Canvas screen, and choosing Report a Problem.
- You can also contact . Include as much specific information as you can.
Keep on Learning!