Search MyCCP

Counseling Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between a Counselor and an Academic Advisor?

Both counselors and academic advisors help students to stay on their educational path and achieve their academic goals. This includes identifying appropriate courses to fulfill program requirements, determining educational, transfer, and career goals, gathering information about resources and services for managing your academic life, and understanding institutional policies, procedures, and programs.  Academic Advisors provide these services to new freshmen and to continuing students in good academic standing.  Counselors provide these services to new transfer students, readmit students, and continuing students on probation.

In addition, counselors are helping professionals with advanced degrees in human growth and wellness. We focus on the holistic development and wellbeing of individual students and of student groups. Through confidential and collaborative relationships, we help students with all aspects of their success in college. This can include academic issues, transfer planning, and career and vocational development.

Through a short-term counseling model, we can also help students with personal wellness, such as improving coping and communication skills, understanding and changing your behavior, shifting negative thinking patterns, exploring emotions and experiences, solving interpersonal problems, gaining insight, increasing your self-awareness and self-esteem, and setting and achieving goals.  Students in need of long-term, ongoing, or mental health counseling services can work with a counselor to find a referral to a community provider. 

What if I am experiencing an emergency or crisis?

For mental health emergencies, contact the Philadelphia 24 Hour Suicide Crisis & Intervention line at 267-687-4381, the National Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255, call 911, or visit

What is the phone number for the counseling department?

(215) 751-8169


What is the fax number for the Counseling Department?



What is the email for the Counseling Department?


Where is the Counseling Department located?

On the main campus, the Counseling Department is in the Bonnell Building, ground floor, room 07 (BG-07).  At the northeast and northwest centers, it is in room 102.  At the west regional center, counseling is located in room 132.

Where can I find the Counseling Department on social media?


Facebook @ccpcounseling

Twitter @ccp.counseling


When can I register for courses?

Course registration dates are determined by the number of credits earned and whether or not the student belongs to a priority registration group, such as veterans.  Generally speaking, registration opens in late October for the winter and spring terms, and in March for the summer and fall terms.  See the College calendar for more information.

When is the last day to withdraw from courses without the penalty of an F grade?

The last day to withdraw for a grade of W is determined by the length of the course; 15 week, 10 week, and 7 week courses will have different withdraw deadlines.  Please consult the Enrollment Guide or ask a counselor if you think you may need to withdraw from one or more classes.


Why does my account say that I have an ALT PIN when I try to register?

A PIN is a registration “gate” for new freshmen, new transfers, readmits, and students on probation to ensure that a student collaborates with a counselor or advisor to select courses before enrolling into a class schedule.  The PIN protects a student from taking courses that may not apply to your degree path and helps ensure that you make wise educational planning choices.  Continuing students in good academic standing do not have PINs.


How do I make a counseling appointment/meet with a counselor?

During the COVID-19 campus closing, counselors are meeting with students electronically.  You can request an appointment by emailing your name, J number, contact information, and description of the type of assistance you need to:  Please allow 24 hours for a response.

How do I change my major?

For continuing students in good standing, a counselor or advisor can change your major.  For students on probation, only a counselor can do so.  The change of major is a fast and easy electronic form.

How do I add or drop a course?  Is dropping the same as withdrawing?

Dropping is removing a course from your schedule before the term starts, or very early at the start of a term.  Withdrawing is leaving a course or leaving school altogether during a semester.  Before a term starts, students may drop and add courses without penalty.  Continuing students in good academic standing should follow the web registration guide here: Students on probation, or new transfer or readmit students, must contact the Counseling Department for drop/add before the start of a term.  Once a term is underway, there could be academic or financial penalties for making schedule changes, so always talk with a counselor or advisor if you need to make schedule changes during a semester!  It is very important that students looking to withdraw from one or more courses or from the entire schedule during a semester contact the Counseling Department before doing so. 

Student tutorial for dropping or withdrawing from course:

How do I follow the Counseling Department on Pride Portal?

Log into MyCCP and click on MyGPS, then on Pride Portal.  In the search box, type Counseling Center to view our articles, events, and more.

How do I log into Canvas?

Your Canvas log in is the same as your MyCCP log in.

How do I order a CCP transcript?

CCP transcripts are managed by the Office of Records & Registration.  Please see

How do I submit a transcript to CCP from another college or university? How do I get my transcript evaluated?

The Transfer Credit & Placement Office evaluates transcripts incoming from other schools.   See

How and when do I transfer to my intended bachelor’s degree program?

CCP offers several transfer programs.  We recommend that you make an appointment with a counselor to develop the transfer plan that is right for you.

How do I check my financial aid/bookstore credit?

Please see the Office of Financial Aid website