All Spring 2021 classes will be held online, and all admissions and student support services are available remotely. Visit the Virtual Student Resource Center to access the assistance you need.

Academic Advising FAQs

What is an academic advisor?

An academic advisor is someone who provides both academic advice and guidance to students based on their individual needs. An academic advisor assists students with identifying and clarifying their academic, transfer, and career goals. Academic advisors ensure that students follow the degree or certificate requirements for a specific program and that they are aware of the college’s academic policies and procedures.

How do I figure out who my advisor is? 

Your academic advisor depends on your major.  You may see an advisor listed in My Degree Path next to Advisor and in Starfish Connect under Network (you’ll see his or her picture there too).  If you don’t see an advisor listed there, you can use the Find Your Advisor search tool on Academic Advising’s website.

When should I see my academic advisor?

You can meet with an academic advisor any time. However, you should meet with your advisor before it’s time to register for classes each semester (about halfway through the semester).  Once registration opens up, advisors are very busy, which could mean there might be a wait to see an advisor.  

During peak times (the week before classes start and the first week of classes), Academic Advising on main campus operates on a Same Day Appointment schedule in order to accommodate the large number of students who need help.  If you need help during these weeks, you can drop in to BG-12 on main campus and ask to sign up for a time to see an advisor.

How can I meet with my academic advisor?

The best way to meet with your advisor is to schedule an appointment through Starfish Connect.  You can access Starfish under the “Launchpad” in MyCCP.  Scheduling through Starfish allows you to see your advisor’s available office hours and schedule in advance.  You may also call our office at 215-751-8777 or stop in to BG-12 to ask about your advisor’s next available appointment.

Can I email my advisor?

Yes. You can access your advisor’s email address here.  Please make sure to include your first and last name and J number in your email so your advisor can look up your information.  If you have a complicated question or the advisor thinks it would be best, you may be asked to come in person for an appointment.

How involved are advisors in helping me choose the right courses?

Very involved. Academic advisors at Community College of Philadelphia are committed to helping you complete requirements for a college degree.  They will offer suggestions on what courses to take, and their recommendations will take into account responsibilities you have in addition to classes. Ultimately, it’s your responsibility to register for and complete the courses required for your degree. And if your goal is to transfer, make sure you talk to your advisor about your plan and become familiar with the admission requirements for the four-year institution you’d like to attend.

How long does a typical advising session last?

The length of an advising session varies from 15-30 minutes. CCP academic advisors usually allocate 30 minutes per session. To ensure that you maximize your time during the advising session, plan for what you wish to accomplish during the session. We encourage you to write down any questions that you would like to ask during the session.

I’m on probation.  How do I register for courses? 

Students on probation must register by seeing a counselor in the Counseling Center.  Once you are back in good academic standing, you can come to Academic Advising for help with registration.

Can I change my major?

Yes. Changing your major is a normal part of the college experience.  However, to make sure that you make the right decision, you must meet with an academic advisor in the Office of Academic Advising or a counselor in the Counseling Center to change your major. Meeting with an advisor or counselor is an excellent way to identify strengths and interests and match them with a major.

What is Dual Admissions?  

Dual admissions transfer partnerships allow you to earn your associate’s degree at Community College of Philadelphia and then get accepted, with junior standing, to one of 14 four-year colleges and universities to pursue your bachelor’s degree. Support services and financial assistance, such as advising and scholarships, are included to help you achieve academic success. There is no cost to apply for Dual Admissions, and you may apply for Dual Admissions with multiple schools you are considering transferring to.  In order to apply, you must complete the Dual Admissions Intent Form, which is located in MyCCP -> MyGPS -> Transfer/Dual Admissions section -> Submit a Dual Admissions Intent Form.  Be sure to research your options by clicking the “Learn more…” link as well.

Will a grade of “D” transfer?

A grade of “D” will not transfer to another institution. However, a “D” grade will satisfy program requirements in some programs at CCP. It is important to note that a student needs to have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 to graduate.

Will my GPA transfer to another community college or four-year institution?

Your CCP grade point average will not transfer to another institution or vice versa.  Other institutions will give you credit for courses taken that are similar to their courses. However, your GPA will be determined by the courses taken at that college or university.

What is the difference between a full-time course load and part-time course load?

A full-time course load means that you are registered for at least 12 credit hours. In most cases that equates to four or five classes. A part-time course load is any number of classes that equal less than 12 credit hours.

What if I want to transfer to a four-year institution before completing the Associates degree?

It is possible, but not highly recommended.  Research indicates that students who complete an associate’s degree are more likely to complete a bachelor’s degree program. In addition, having both degrees looks good on your resume and reveals an important quality about you to a potential employer. If your intent is to transfer before earning your associate’s degree, you should let your academic advisor know so he or she can help you develop a transfer plan.

What is Canvas?

Canvas is the university learning management system.  It is a place you can access information about a class, turn in assignments, view the class syllabus, retrieve resources, and more. Online courses use Canvas instead of face-to-face class meetings.

What is the College Catalog?

The College Catalog includes specific information about all degrees, certificates, and courses offered by CCP.  It includes important information, entry requirements, and a semester-by-semester grid of courses and prerequisites for each major and certificate program.  When looking at the College Catalog, it’s important that you select the College Catalog that corresponds to your Catalog Year.  You can look up your Catalog Year on your My Degree Path audit near the top of the page.  If you are not a new student, the College Catalog you should use is likely listed under “Archived Catalogs” on the lower left-hand side of the page.  

What is My Degree Path?

My Degree Path (MDP) is a degree audit designed to help students stay on path towards graduation. MDP enables students and advisors to evaluate which degree requirements have been completed and which courses you still need to complete. You can access MDP by logging in to MyCCP, clicking “MyGPS,” and then clicking “My Degree Path.”  When you log in, you will see an audit for your current major.  

What is Starfish?

Starfish is an online early alert system.  Three times per semester, faculty provide updates on the academic performance of students in their classes. A copy of the feedback goes to students and their advisors. The feedback could indicate that a student has missed several classes or that assignments are overdue. Starfish also allows faculty to provide positive feedback (kudos) to students who are doing well. Advisors use Starfish to email their advisees, schedule advising sessions, and document academic success plans for students. Since Starfish is an online system, students can schedule appointments at any time, even when our office is closed.

What are pre-requisite courses?

A pre-requisite course is a course or requirement that must be met in order to take another course. For example, English 101 must be completed before taking English 102. In other words, your permanent academic record (transcript) must show that you have successfully completed English 101 in order for you to take English 102.  However, you do not need to wait to register for the second course.  CCP allows you to register for ENGL 102 while you are taking ENGL 101.

What is a co-requisite course?

Co-requisite courses are courses that must be taken at the same time.  You must register for these courses at the same time as well.

How do I see if my transfer credits from another college apply to my CCP degree?

First, you must send an official transcript from your previous college directly to CCP, either electronically using an official transcript service or via mail to the address below.  You can also bring in a paper transcript to MG-17, but it must be an official transcript in a sealed (unopened) envelope.  Second, you must complete an online Transcript Evaluation Request form, which you can access by logging into MyCCP, clicking “Student,” then “Electronic Forms,” then “Admissions Forms,” then “Transcript Evaluation Request.” Make sure to note on the form that you intend to obtain a degree and/or certificate at CCP, or else your transfer credits will not be posted.

Community College of Philadelphia
Transfer Credit and Placement Office
Office, MG-17
1700 Spring Garden Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130-3991

How do I figure out which books I need for my classes? 

You can visit CCP’s bookstore in person or find your books online using our bookstore website. Click “Textbooks” and then “Find Textbooks” in order to access the page where you can search for your textbooks.  You will need to know your class subjects, numbers, and CRNs in order to find them (information that is available on your course schedule).

How can I find my course schedule? 

You can access your course schedule by logging in to MyCCP, clicking “Student Quick Links,” then “Register for Classes,” and then “Student Detail Schedule.” 

How do I check my final grades? 

You can access your final grades by logging into MyCCP, clicking the "Student" tab, "Enrollment Services," "Student Academic Records," and then "View Final Grades."  

How many credits can I take per semester?

If you are a current student in Good Standing, you can register for up to 18 credits in the fall or spring and up to 8 credits in a summer session (early summer or late summer) without any special approval.  If you wish to enroll in more than eighteen (18) credit hours in a regular semester or more than eight (8) credit hours in a summer session, you must submit a request online.  Log in to MyCCP, click “Electronic Forms,” then “Records and Registration Forms,” and then “Credit Overload” and fill out the form.

If you are a guest student or non-matriculating student: you should submit your overload request by logging in to MyCCP, clicking “Electronic Forms,” then “Admissions Forms,” and then “Guest/Non-matriculating Student” form.

When and how do I apply for graduation?

You should apply for graduation as soon as you are registered for the last courses you need to complete your degree or certificate.  To apply, you log into MyCCP, click “Student,” click on “Graduation,” click on “Apply for Graduation” and follow the required steps.