All Summer and Fall classes will be held online, and all admissions and student support services are available remotely. Visit the Virtual Student Resource Center to access the assistance that you need.

Frequently Asked Questions for Currently Enrolled Students

Students, please refer to the following information about summer and fall registration, financial aid and Work-Study, withdrawing from classes, technology, and information for international students.

Registration for Fall 2020

Will Fall classes be offered in person or online?

Your safety continues to be our utmost priority as we plan for the fall semester. Based on the status of state and local stay-at-home orders and our concern about offering courses in a safe environment, we have decided that coursework for the fall semester will be offered entirely online. While the future status of local and state stay-at-home orders may allow us to begin to offer some on-campus services in the summer or fall, it was necessary to make a decision now about fall classes to give us time to meet all standards for online course delivery and to make sure we are providing you with enhanced support to help you succeed in your online classes this fall. Courses that can only be offered in face-to-face settings will be postponed until it is safe to resume on-campus instruction. 

What if I was already registered for fall on-campus classes?

As of June 8, any on-campus courses that you registered for have been changed to online courses. We have automatically changed your classes to online, so you do not need to re-register, but you should check your schedule to make sure you do not have synchronous online classes scheduled for the same time. If you do, you will need to change your registration in one of these classes. Many classes will be offered fully online, so if you prefer a class that does not have scheduled meeting times, you might be able to choose this option. If you have questions, students in good academic standing should contact Academic Advising. Students on academic probation, and transfer and readmit students should contact Counseling.

What is the difference between a fully online course and a synchronous online course?

Online courses are being offered in two formats: fully online and synchronous online. Fully online courses do not have required meeting times. These courses are conducted entirely online through Canvas, the College’s online learning management system. Synchronous online courses have some required meeting times, meaning the class will have specific days and times when you will meet online. Methods for these virtual meetings include video conferencing (Zoom), live chats and live-streaming lectures. These courses will also be offered online through Canvas, the College’s online learning management system.

Are there fees for online classes?

The College tuition remains flat for this fall, and in an effort to be sensitive to your added burdens in these uncertain times, we will be providing an automatic scholarship to cover the Online Learning Course Fee.

Should I register now for Fall 2020 courses?

Registering early is always a good idea. You do have the option to change your schedule, should it be necessary. Current students in good academic standing are encouraged to seek advisement from an Academic Advisor with questions at  . Students on academic probation must contact the Counseling Center for an appointment with a Counselor at  . Should you encounter difficulties with registration, contact the Office of Student Records and Registration at  . Refer to the Enrollment Guide and information included on this Virtual Student Resource Center page for more information.

Financial Aid and Work-Study 

Is federal financial aid be impacted?

No. Staff will be working to ensure that your financial aid is processed in a timely manner. If you are requested to submit documents, please make every effort to submit them electronically and not via the U.S. mail.

I am a Federal Work-Study student. Can I continue to work?

Because Main Campus and the Regional Centers are closed, there are no opportunities for students to work on campus, but some students will have the ability to work remotely based on their positions. This is currently true for most external employers of our current Federal Work-Study students. Students with questions or concerns should contact Mr. Quyen Ngo, Work-Study coordinator, at .

Have the Financial Aid deadlines changed?

Please see the Enrollment Guide for the Financial Aid deadlines.


What if I believe that I will not do well in an online class? 

We strongly recommend you give yourself the appropriate time to adjust to the online instruction format. We want you to continue to be in good academic standing and complete the term. Please contact your instructors and share with them your concerns and circumstances. Our faculty have been very understanding given our current state of affairs and are working with students in a variety of ways. Also, refer to additional information on the Virtual Student Services Center page for links to various support services.

What should I do if I do not have a laptop or computer?

Whether your classes are online or on campus, you need the right tools to succeed in your education and beyond. In order to participate fully in your classes, complete your assignments, and use your student email account, you must have access to a laptop or computer with a broadband internet connection. For Fall 2020, the following options are available to you. You will want to decide early which option is best for you.

Use Your Financial Aid to Buy Your Own Laptop

You can order laptops through the bookstore website, just like you can order your books. If the bookstore location is able to open, you can pick up your laptop, or if not, then the bookstore will ship the laptop to you. If you would like to use financial aid to purchase a laptop through the bookstore, below is information on the bookstore credit and student loans. You will want to make sure that whatever you purchase meets minimum system requirements. If you do purchase your own laptop, you can download Office 365 for free.

How to Purchase a Laptop/Computer Using Student Financial Aid Bookstore Credit

Community College of Philadelphia students may use their bookstore credit to purchase their required laptop/computer. Students whose financial aid has been applied to their student account creating a credit balance may receive a Bookstore Financial Aid Credit for use at the College bookstore. To determine the amount of your bookstore credit, login to MyCCP and click on “Check Bookstore Credit.” To be eligible for a bookstore credit, students must have funds remaining (a credit balance) after all tuition, fees and any other charges are paid. You may be required to borrow a Direct Student Loan to cover the cost of your laptop computer. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at for more information.

To Purchase a Laptop/Computer Using an Additional Student Loan

Community College of Philadelphia students who have received their maximum awarded financial aid eligibility up to their financial aid Cost of Attendance, and are still in need of purchasing a laptop/computer may request an increase to their Cost of Attendance to cover the purchase of a laptop/computer. Increasing the student's Cost of Attendance to include costs for purchasing a laptop/computer does not guarantee that Community College of Philadelphia will have funds available to increase the amount of financial aid offered to you for the academic year. Approval from either the Federal Direct Student Loan Program, Direct PLUS Loan (parent loan), or a private/alternative educational loan will be utilized to cover the cost of the laptop/computer.

The U.S. Department of Education permits institutions of higher education to include in a student's Cost of Attendance the purchase of a laptop/computer for educational use. The Office of Financial Aid will include this expense for students upon request. The Cost of Attendance maximum adjustment for laptop/computer/printer purchase is $3,000. Students may request an increase only once as a Community College of Philadelphia student. All Cost of Attendance adjustment requests must be made in writing to

To be eligible for a Cost of Attendance adjustment for a laptop/computer purchase, students will need to submit to the Office of Financial Aid:

  1. Written request, a dated receipt/proof of purchase attached, OR a dated, itemized estimate of the cost of the proposed purchase. The Office of Financial Aid will assist you in applying for a loan for the same amount. To be considered, this must be received by the office at least two weeks prior to the end of the academic term for which this adjustment is being requested.
  2. Once the loan funds have been approved and received, students will either be notified of an additional bookstore credit for approval for purchase, or will be notified of a student account credit balance for reimbursement.

Borrow a Loaner Laptop from the College for this Semester 

This option is available only for students already enrolled in Fall 2020 classes. If you have not enrolled yet for Fall 2020, you should do so as soon as possible if you want to try to borrow a laptop. If you would like to use a loaner laptop, you should inform one of your instructors that you are in need of borrowing a laptop in order to complete the required coursework. Provide the following information to your instructor: your J#, email address and mobile phone number. The request to borrow a laptop will be entered by your instructor on your behalf. 

For information about the loaner laptop program, including your responsibilities if you borrow a device, visit our student device loaner program page.

To make sure you have a laptop or computer that will meet your technology needs, following are the minimum recommended specifications:

  • Intel Core i3-8145U Processor (2 Core, 4MBCache, 2.1GHz, up to 3.9Ghz) or 7th Gen Intel Core i5, 2.1Ghz minimum 
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 English 
  • Microsoft Office 2016/2019 
  • Intel UHD 620 Graphics for Intel 8th Gen Core i3-8145 or i5  
  • 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4 Non-ECC  
  • 256GB PCIe NVM Solid State Drive preferred 

I do not have access to the Internet. Are there resources to help me?

You are eligible for Comcast Internet Essentials. Please see the free, low cost and upgraded internet access information for more details.

Several communications companies are granting temporary free internet access to assist students and families throughout our community. You can also turn your smart phone into a hotspot. Due to responses to the pandemic, many carriers have simplified the process add a hot spot to your mobile phone. You can find more information here.

Withdrawing from a Class

What if I want to withdraw from a class or classes?

In the event you do feel you need to withdraw from a course, College policies and procedures currently apply. See our withdrawal policy and procedures for more information.

Please keep in mind that to officially withdraw from a class, you must follow the procedures outlined in the link above. If you stop attending classes, that does not constitute an official withdrawal. Also, consult the Financial Aid Office to determine how your financial aid status will be impacted should you withdraw.

Please stay in constant contact with your professors regarding your attendance/participation in your courses. Please also consult with your Academic Advisor or Counselor if you are considering withdrawing.

Will I get a refund of tuition/fees paid if I decide to withdraw? 

The College’s refund policy remains in place. See our refund policy for more information.

In extenuating circumstances, students may appeal for a refund by completing the Special Request Form for Financial Account Adjustment.

Will my instructors work with me if I become ill or otherwise cannot complete my courses?

Yes. If you become ill or have other extenuating circumstances, please contact your instructors. Please also consult with your Academic Advisor or Counselor for guidance.

International Students

Will a change to online learning affect my status?

Because the College has decided to move courses from in-person to online instruction, your immigration status will not be affected. Since this would be a College-wide decision due to special circumstances, this will not be a violation of the 3-credit maximum distance education rule.

Can I leave the U.S. and finish the semester from my home country?

With travel restrictions currently in place, re-entry to the U.S. may not be guaranteed, should you leave the United States. We do not recommend travel at this time. Please take this into consideration before making any arrangements. If you do plan to travel, notify the International Student Services Office at  immediately as it may affect your immigration status.